I know this isn't meant to be a marketplace or ad site, but I have some very specific parts that I'm looking for that aren't carried by Arrow, Mouser, DigiKey, etc...the big players. Google searches have come up empty-handed unless I want to buy a shipping container full of them direct from China.

I'm looking for recommendations about perhaps some smaller, specialty online retailers that I don't know about, suggestions for substitutions that may be more readily available, and/or tips on some alternate places to look (e.g., a fuse may be hard to find @ Mouser because every auto repair shop has them...)

One - Is this an appropriate question to EE, and Two - What are some suggestions for phrasing so it doesn't get deleted as soliciting recommendations for commercial ventures?


2 Answers 2


No, those types of questions are not appropriate here. They just don't work well with the Q&A format of this site.


Find the vendor's distributor and/or representative covering your area. Contact them.

Alternate Octopart has a pretty good parts search engine.

  • 3
    \$\begingroup\$ If he says he's "looking for them" then "find them" is not really a good answer. \$\endgroup\$
    – stevenvh
    Jul 12, 2012 at 5:07
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ @BrianCarlton that would be great if I knew a manufacturer. Let's say I'm looking for a .33uF capacitor (or something else in a wierd, nonstandard size/rating/performance spec). Who's the manufacturer? Lots of times I can't find ANYthing. If, however, someone knows of oddsizecapacitors.com and I don't, I'd love to have that information so I can continue my research. When I know a manufacturer, I can at least continue my research, to the point where I have the sales rep contact the last client who bought a 5000pc reel of part X to see if they'd sell me one. BTW, they shipped it to me for free. \$\endgroup\$
    – dwwilson66
    Jul 12, 2012 at 11:35
  • \$\begingroup\$ @dwwilson66 You could use this forum to ask for tips on using a standard part in place of the 0.33uF cap or whatever weird part to get the same functionality. Generally, if you can't find a specific part there's a good reason for it. \$\endgroup\$
    – ACD
    Apr 8, 2015 at 16:56

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .