So the embedded systems site proposal has been closed because it was taking too long. I can't figure out how much of it was a duplicate of this site.
I have found several prior meta discussions, but I don't find them conclusive.
- Embedded software questions?
- Is E&R the place to ask about questions of programming, but related to microcontrollers?
- Where do we draw the line for code being on- or off-topic?
- Are questions about writing an assembler on-topic?
The following opinions seem consensual:
- “anything related to peripherals or interrupts is a better fit for here than SO”
- Do questions “about embedded software tools and techniques” belong here? “Yes”
On the other hand Where do we draw the line for code being on- or off-topic? shows more diverse opinions. If EE.SE does cover embedded software, I'm surprised to see so few questions about low-memory algorithms, OS design, bootloaders, component integration, etc.
So where does EE.SE draw the line? Which of the example questions of the embedded systems proposal would be on-topic here? Which of the questions on Raspberry Pi would be on-topic here (note that Pi.SE caters a lot to amateurs)? Is embedded OS design on-topic here? And if I'm writing a custom application on top of my custom OS? How about embedded software integration (how do I get U-Boot to start)? How about system architecture — fitting a chip and its software in a larger system?
In short, does EE.SE cover all aspects of embedded system design and development?