I was asking a question on Stack Overflow when the following notification popped up:
I used the SQL tag and the system notified me that I probably should include information about my system, the code I'm using, what isn't working exactly, and what it should do instead.
Is this something we could and would like to have as well here? Possibly we could reduce the work needed to guide newcomers writing good answers. Also, sometimes newcomers are tempted to add information other members asked for in comments - with this we would have less of these problems as well. And in general we would have to ask less for more information.
I'm thinking of situations like:
Coding questions get better answers if they ...
- Include the specific device you're working on
- Show the code that isn't working
- Include comments in the code to explain what part does what
- Describe exactly how it isn't working (error message, unexpected results, etc...)
- Describe the desired results
Theoretical questions get better answers if they ...
- Include the circuit you're working with
- Show what you've tried to solve the problem yourself
If you have other ideas, please add them as an answer.