The site title reads "Electrical Engineering", but the URL says "Electronics". I'm confused.

IEEE distinguishes between the types by saying

It is designed to serve professionals involved in all aspects of the electrical, electronic and computing fields and related areas of science and technology that underlie modern civilization.

Wikipedia also comments on the distinction.

Electronics is a subfield within the wider electrical engineering academic subject.

May I ask questions about arc flash, motor starters, and other aspects industrial power system design? Or should this site be called "Electronic Engineering"?

  • \$\begingroup\$ If someone deems it off-topic, it will be closed immediately and you will have your answer. :/ \$\endgroup\$
    – endolith
    Oct 21, 2011 at 18:49
  • \$\begingroup\$ When I went to school, the different disciplines were called electrical engineering and electric power engineering. There are various conventions and meanings of some of the names out there, so you can't count on electrical definatively meaning something related to the power grid or to opamps. \$\endgroup\$ Oct 24, 2011 at 13:00

1 Answer 1


Yes, you may ask questions about electronic and electrical engineering.

The site has a tumultuous history with several name changes. I commented about the difference between electrical and electronics here. Do not assume that the URL or the name restrict the scope to one domain or the other.

You'll notice that our userbase is primarily focused on electronics, but your questions would be welcome.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .