I upvote any question that was downvoted and no reason was provided for the downvote !!!!
The decline of StackOverflow:
Delphi is 2nd most hated language. Congrats Embarcadero!
Randomly deleted questions on SO: https://sergworks.wordpress.com/2012/09/26/why-stackoverflow-sucks/
Why Borland failed?
The Borland Turbo languages where the Cat's Pajamas.
Microsoft countered with the Quick languages.
Borland made Turbo Pascal for Windows and with Objects and then made Delphi.
Microsoft countered with Visual BASIC.
Borland made Borland C++ and JBuilder.
Microsoft countered with Visual C++ and Visual J++/J# and then later Visual C#. The free IDEs and Free compiler languages ate into Borland's sales. Eclipse, Netbeans, IntelliJ, BlueJ, Sublime Text, GNU C/C++, Apple XCode, FreePascal/Lazarus, Ruby/Ruby on Rails, Python, Code::Blocks, etc.
In 2005 Microsoft introduce Visual Studio Express a free version of their development tools. Like Amiga, Borland had the superior technology, but cheaper/free alternatives undercut their sales. Mostly it was the free and open source revolution that did Borland in.
California 99, Gerber, CA, USA
Member for 6 years, 9 months
3 profile views
Last seen Feb 28 '16 at 20:38
- Stack Overflow 18.5k 18.5k 1717 gold badges126126 silver badges247247 bronze badges
- Super User 1.8k 1.8k 66 gold badges2727 silver badges4747 bronze badges
- Electrical Engineering 686 686 11 gold badge1313 silver badges2727 bronze badges
- Server Fault 315 315 33 silver badges1010 bronze badges
- Travel 215 215 22 silver badges66 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 44 Buffered files (for faster disk access)
- 43 What is the difference between the new TFileOpenDialog and the old TOpenDialog?
- 38 How do I get back the old Task Manager (from Windows 7) in Windows 10?
- 25 What is new in multithreading in Delphi XE?
- 24 How do I run a JAR file without installing Java?
- 21 Using inherited in the "Create" constructor of an TObject
- 21 Simple anti-aliasing function for Delphi 7
- View more network posts →