A lot of the text in the help page is canned text used for every site in the StackExchange network. I'll highlight the text blocks that we can change that are relevant to this discussion.
Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange is a question and answer site
for electronics and electrical engineering professionals, students,
and enthusiasts. It's built and run by you as part of the Stack
Exchange network of Q&A sites. With your help, we're working together
to build a library of detailed answers to every question about
- a specific electronics design problem
- the theory and simulation of electromagnetic forces
- a communication scheme
- the writing of firmware for bare-metal or RTOS applications
Don't Ask About:
- Shopping or buying recommendations
- Consumer electronics such as media players, cell phones or smart phones, except when designing these products or modifying their electronics for other uses
- Programming software for a PC
- Anything else not directly related to electronics design
- Questions that are primarily opinion-based
- Questions with too many possible answers or that would require an extremely long answer
There is a text box currently above the links in the help center that is unused. I'm not sure that this is the right place for on/off topic text, but I didn't know it was there before. I've taken a screenshot to show what I'm talking about.
The entire contents of this page are editable.
I believe we can focus on the lists in the tour for fine tuning, and be a bit more explicit in the "asking" section.